The excerpt below is from Thich Nhat Hanh in the book Savor. I thought you might enjoy this perspective on food and eating. Have a wonderful and blessed holiday spending time and sharing food and conversation with friends and family. Namaste, Sandy
1. This food is the gift of the whole universe: the Earth, the sky, numerous living beings, and much hard loving work.
2. May we eat with mindfulness & gratitude so as to be worthy to receive it.
3. May we recognize & transform our unwholesome mental formations, especially our greed, and learn to eat with moderation.
4. May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way that we reduce the suffering of living beings, preserve our planet, and reverse the process of global warming.
5. We accept this food so that we may nurture our sisterhood and brotherhood, strengthen our community, and nourish our ideal of serving all living beings.
Just as sunlight provides the energy for a seed to grow into a plant, mindfulness provides the energy to transform all mental formations- our mind states, which are expressions of seed energies manifested in our mind. Mindfulness energy is like the sun; it has only to radiate its energy to do its work naturally. The essential point is that we do not try to repress our afflictions, our negative energies, because the more we resist or fight them, the stronger they will grow in us. We need only to recognize them, embrace them, and bathe them in the energy of mindfulness. When there is an abundance of mindfulness energy in us, it can transmute and dilute the effects of the negative seed energies in us. Cultivating mindfulness energy will soothe and calm our negative emotions.
EVERY day is a thanksgiving day…
See you at the lounge Nov 22 on Thanksgiving day for Gratitude Yoga and Gentle Gong Bath from 8:30-9:45AM.
Open to all, $15 to drop in. Please pre-register online at www.balanceyogalounge.com